LATEST RULES AND INFORMATION ABOUT ZAM ZAM
The well of Zam Zam is one of the great blessings from Allah Subhanahu WaTa'alah and His love for the beloved BiBi Hajra and Hazrat Ismaeel (peace be upon them). This well is located in Makkah Mukkaramah with unlimited flow of Zam Zam water until the Day of Judgement (Qayamah). A small indication of it being limitless is that 78 million 5 litre bottles were packed during the 2016 Hajj season alone.
There are rules and certain restriction been put in place by the Saudi Government about what quantity of Zam Zam pilgrims are allowed to take back home with them. These regulations are:
1. Please confirm with the Airline you are travelling with about what your Zam Zam allowance. British Airways and Saudi Airlines allow 5 litres of Zam Zam per passenger, whereas other Airlines may count the weight of the Zam Zam water as part of your usual allowed weight allowance.
2. The maximum allowed quantity of Zam Zam water is 5 litres per pilgrim.
3. Extra charges will apply with most/all Airlines if you exceed the allowed quantity of Zam Zam.
4. If you book a hire car as part of your transfers, then it is advisable to pack lightly and take less Zam Zam water during your transfer journeys.
5. In fact, there is no need to take the Zam Zam water with you from city to city, as Zam Zam is available at King Abdul Aziz International airport Jeddah and also at Madinah airport, allowing you to purchase the water there and then taking it with you on yourreturn journey home.
6. If you wish to purchase extra Zam Zam, then it is advisable to have it shipped instead of taking it back with your own baggage. It may cost a little more, but it is worth it.
7. Do not buy Zam Zam from the streets anywhere, as it is deemed to be mixed with tap water in some cases. This is also an illegal practice according to the Saudi Law. It is also more expensive to purchase Zam Zam off the streets. It costs around SR-5, whereas on the street it ranges between SR-15 - 20.